1. Which feature in MS Outlook Express allows different individuals send and receive emails in MS Outlook Express using separate accounts?
Ans: The Identities feature allows multiple customers to send and receive emails using separate accounts.
2. A customer running Windows XP Home with an antivirus application installed in his computer. He downloaded a program from the internet and installed it on his computer. After that, he began to receive e-mail messages from unknown people. The Customer removed the program but he is still receiving the e-mail messages. You need help the customer, what should you instruct the customer?
Ans. Download the most recent virus signature files and scan his computer for viruses.
3. You are installing a new Windows XP configuration and you like to specify which HAL to install. What should you do?
Ans. Boot from the Windows XP CD to initiate Setup. At the point in text-mode setup where a message at the bottom of the screen reads “Press F6 if you need to install a third party SCSI or RAID driver,” press F5.
4. When you are configuring power management on your Windows XP,who/what will control the ACPI functions?
Ans. ACPI will be fully controlled by The operating system.
5. Which file must be located in the root folder of the active partition for dual booting of Windows XP and Windows Me to boot?
6. Customer gives a call and states that he is unable to get online. He uses a cable connection to get online on windows XP Operating system. You run the ping 127.0.0.1 on his computer and get the result as all the packets are lost. What is the next step you would perform?
Ans. Reset the TCP/IP stack
7. Frequently, users in your office leave floppy disks in drives. This causes problems when users attempt to boot with floppies still in drive and results in a support request. You want to change the computer from seeking the A: drive as the first drive to boot from. Which of the following is the best way to do this?
C. Change the boot order in CMOS
8. The range of IP addresses that ICS (Internet Connection Sharing) use by default is 192.168.0.1 through 192.168.0.254. What is the IP address of the machine on which you enabled the ICS option?
9. After rebooting your Windows XP Professional computer, your monitor shows a blank blue screen. You remember that a Video driver was just installed. Which is the best way to recover from this?
Ans. Reboot and press F8. From the advanced option menu select the “Last Known Good Configuration” option.
10. If you need to dual boot a computer with Windows XP ( Professional) and Windows (Me) and allow all partitions to be accessible from both operating systems, which file system should be used when creating the partitions?
11. What is the difference between the Disk Defragmenter tool in Win XP & Win 2000?
12. Imagine you are a desktop support technician. One of your customers has just installed a new printer by himself. The customer later called and said that whenever he tried to print, the printer only printed some garbled text. Surprisingly, prints the test page prints normally. What do you think is the problem?
Ans. The customer installed the wrong printer driver.
13. If you turn on your computer and you get the message: “Non-System disk or disk error….Replace and press any key when ready”, what do you think the problem is likely due to?
Ans. A non-bootable floppy disk is in the floppy-disk drive and should be removed.
14. You start up your computer and get a message which says “Keyboard error”, what might be the cause of this error?
Ans. Either the keyboard is not connected to the PC or it is not working.
15. If, upon booting up a PC, you see a message that says: Invalid drive configuration, it could very likely be:
Ans. it could either of the following:
- The Hard-disk drive is not working or has not been partitioned.
- The Hard-disk drive cable is not attached to the controller on the motherboard.
16. If you turn on a PC and the boot-up process halts, giving you the message: c:/system32/config file missing or corrupt, how would you fix it?
Ans. We can either repair the Windows registry hives or just repair the Windows installation using the Windows installation disc.
17. If you get an error message “ HALL.DLL missing or corrupt” which file(s) do you think is causing the problem?
Ans. The error is being caused by corrupt a NTLDR or BOOT.INI file.
18. If you are unable to access and browse the internet when you have the Norton 360 firewall turned on, but able to do so when it is turned off, what do you think you should do to fix this issue?
Ans. This issue can be resolved by configuring the Norton 360 firewall to allow access to Internet Explorer. (By creating an exception in Norton 360 for Internet Explorer.)
19. If you are unable to install Windows Vista Home Premium on a computer with a 1 GHz processor, 512 MB ram, 500 GB HDD what do you think can fix this issue?
Ans. This issue can be resolved by adding more RAM. We should have at least 1GB of RAM. (Remember, the more memory you add, the more it helps your computer function effectively.
20. Which Windows utility helps to Clean Boot your PC?
Ans. The Windows MSCONFIG utility can be used to Clean Boot a PC.
21. If you see a “?” next to any component in the Windows Device Manager, what does it mean?
Ans. The ‘?’ in Device Manager means that the device is not properly installed. It could also mean that the driver for a device is not installed.
22. What is the name of the executable file for Windows System Restore?
Ans. The name of the executable file for Windows System Restore is called “Rstrui.exe”. However, if you have to type it in the “Run” box, it is advisable to use the full path for the file, which is “C:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe”.
23. What do you think the acronym UAC stands for?
Ans. The acronym UAC stands for “User Account Control” (a Windows Vista feature.)
24. Name some of the tools in Windows XP which can be used to expand files.
Ans. Some of the tools which can be used to expand files in Windows XP are 1. MSConfig 2. The Windows Recovery Console and 3. The Command prompt.
25. How do you boot in the recovery console?
Ans. We can boot up to the Recovery Console by using the windows XP CD to start up the computer and select then select the option “press R to repair the Windows XP Installation”.
26. If you want to keep all your data in your computer intact when you are upgrading your computer to Windows XP Professional, what should you do? You currently have the FAT32 file system.
Ans. While upgrading a computer to Windows XP, it is good to select the option “leave the current file system intact (make no changes) and then convert the partition to NTFS (for more effeciency) after the upgradation procedure is completed.
27. You shared some files on your computer. Your friend tried to access the files you shared but ws unable to do so. He kept getting the error “The network path was not found”. What do you think is the problem?
Ans. This could mean that both the computers are not on the same network. You can put them on the same network by running the network setup wizard on both the computers.
28. If you are not able to view your CD-Rom drive in “My Computer“, what would you do to fix it?
Ans. This issue can be fixed by editing the Windows Registry and deleting the upper and lower filter keys. (Caution: Always remember to backup the registry before attempting to edit it.)
29. What would you do if your computer keeps booting into Safe Mode all the time? There are no error messages.
Ans. In this situation, we can check if the “/SAFEBOOT” option is not checked in MSConfig. We also need to make sure that the “Normal Startup” option is selected. Another thing we can do is to start up the computer to the Last Known Good Configuration (LKGC), from the Windows Advanced Boot Menu options.
30. What would you do if you keep getting the error message “USB device not recognized” when you connect any USB device to your computer?
Ans. You get this error if either the USB drivers are not installed or the USB port(s) are not working properly.
31. If there is no audio from your computer after you have downloaded some updates for your Windows XP operating system from the Microsoft website, what do you think could be the problem?
Ans. Check if the Windows Audio Service is disabled and if it is, enable it to fix the issue.
32. How will you enable packet filtering when your computer is connected to the internet using a DSL connection?
Ans. You can enable packet filtering in a Windows XP computer from the Advanced TCP/IP properties. Alternatively, you can also configure the Windows Firewall.
33. A Customer reports that his computer is not able to connect to any network resources and is not able to authenticate to the Active Directory domain within his organization. The computer was able to connect yesterday. No other users are reporting a problem today.
The Physical connectivity to the network is correct and that the computer’s network adapter displays a link light. The computer is configured to use the following IP configuration:
* IP address: 192.168.0.6
* Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
* Default gateway: 192.168.0.1
You confirm that this configuration is valid on the network. How will you fix this problem?
Ans. Check the computer for a valid DNS server address.
34. A customer reports that his Windows XP Professional portable computer is not able to connect to any network resources and is not able to authenticate to the network’s Active Directory domain within his organization. The computer was able to connect yesterday. No other users are reporting a problem today.
The computer is connected to the network and it can ping it’s loop-back address. During troubleshooting, you discover that the computer has the IP address: 169.254.131.217 and subnet mask: 255.255.0.0. How will you get this computer connected to the network? What would you do first? ”
Ans. Right-click on the network connection icon in the system tray and select the option “Repair”.
35. After upgrading to Windows XP Professional from Windows 98, the computer has really slowed down. The Windows, Menus and other options take a long time to open. What can you do to make them open up faster?
Ans. Select the “Adjust for best performance” option in the advanced system properties.
36. Which command would you use in the Recovery Console to retrieve a compressed file from the hard-disk drive?
Ans. The command to be used here is: Expand
37. A customer implemented Remote Assistance for his Windows XP professional based computer, The customer also runs his own business of troubleshooting the Financial software related issues. The customer want to check and determine if someone at a remote location needs his help for the financial software? What should you do in order to help customer configure his system to check and determine if someone at a remote location needs his help?
a. Start his e-mail program and look for e-mail message with the subject HELP REQUEST
b. Start his e-mail program and look for e-mail message with the subject USER_NAME@ABC.COM where abc is his company name.
c. Start his e-mail program and look for e-mail message with the subject REMOTE ASSISTANCE HELP
d. Ask the customer to enable RDP and start the terminal service
e. Ask the customer to check the system event log regularly
38. What should you do if you get the error “Cannot send HTML forms” whenever you try to use a search engine on the internet?
Ans. In Internet Explorer, go to the Trusted Sites option and uncheck the option “Require Server verification (https://) for all servers on this zone.
39. Which command(s) would you use to get a list of all Microsoft signed drivers on your computer?
Ans. Type winmsd or msinfo32 in the command prompt, expand Software Environment and then select “Signed drivers“.
40. When would you normally perform a Clean Install of Windows XP? Provide any two circumstances?
Ans. A “Clean” installation of Windows XP can be done either when the current installation has to be completely removed and replaced or when there is no Operating System (OS) installed in the computer.
41. Customer calls and says that whenever he right clicks on a File/Folder and clicks on delete, it does not go into the Recycle Bin, but gets permanently deleted. What will you do to fix this problem for the customer?
a. Ask the customer to press Shft+Del to send the files to the Recycle Bin
b. Inform the customer that Recycle Bin only works when you are in Safe Mode
c. Right click on Recycle Bin, select Properties, and uncheck “Do not move files to the Recycle Bin” option.
d. Right click on Recycle Bin, select Properties, and check “Do not move files to the Recycle Bin” option
42. You performed parallel installation of windows XP Home to resolve certain problems on customer’s computer. After installation customer says that she can see the previous profile folders in Documents & Settings but when she tries to open them a message appears stating “Access Denied”. What will you do to remove the Access Denied problem?
a. The old profile folders have been locked permanently and they can not be opened now
b. Right click on the Old profile folder, go to Properties, select Security and give full permission to the new user
c. Share the Old Profile folders so that they can be used by all the users.
d. Boot into Safe Mode, Right click the Old Profile folder, go to Security->Advanced and give the ownership to the new user.
43. You suspect your system is failing to boot because of a corrupt master boot record. Which utility is the best to fix this?
a. Automated System Restore
b. Recovery Console
c. Device Manager
d. System Restore
44. You are a desktop support technician in an organization. One of your desktop users is able to view a blank desktop whenever he reboots his desktop computer. What could be reason for it?
a. Windows system files are damaged. You need to reinstall windows.
b. There is a virus on the computer.
c. Display driver is missing.
d. None of the above
45. Customer calls in and says that her copy of Windows went corrupt and the previous technician installed it again without losing any data. Now when the computer boots it gives a menu for few seconds and then windows boots normally. She wants to get rid of this menu. You asked about the menu options and she told that both the options in the Menu read the same thing:
Windows XP Home
Windows XP Home
Now how will you take care of this problem so that the menu does not appear again? (Choose all that apply)
a. Educate that it’s a feature of windows and now it cannot be changed, since you have two Windows Installations on this computer.
b. Edit the Windows.Ini file and delete the second menu item
c. Edit the Boot.Ini file and set the Timeout as 0
d. Edit the Boot.Ini file and remove the second menu option and set the Timeout as 0
46. Frequently, users in your office leave floppy disks in drives. This causes problems when users attempt to boot with floppies still in drive and results in a support request. You want to change the computer from seeking the A: drive as the first drive to boot from. Which of the following is the best way to do this?
a) Disconnect cable on floppy drive
b) Change the RAM to SDRAM
c) Change the boot order in CMOS
d) Pull the battery
47. A customer running Windows XP Home with an antivirus application installed reports that he downloaded a program from the Internet and installed it on his computer. After installing the program, he began to receive e-mail messages from people whom he does not know. The Customer removed the program but he is still receiving the e-mail messages. You need help the customer, what should you instruct the customer?
a) Connect to the Microsoft Windows Update website and scan his computer.
b) Download the most recent virus signatures and scan his computer for viruses.
c) Run the Microsoft Baseline Security Analyser (MBSA) tool and scan for security updates.
d) Run the security Configuration and Analysis tool and analyse his computer by using the hisecws.inf.
48. Which of these statements is NOT a function of Winsock?
a) Winsock, is a technical specification that defines how Windows network software should access network services.
b) It defines a standard interface between a Windows TCP/IP client application (such as an Gopher client) and the underlying TCP/IP protocol stack
c) Winsock.dll enables us to access networks
49. A user reports that he has lost his Windows XP CD however he had earlier taken backup of the Windows XP Home CD on one of the partitions of his computer. He also informs that the partitions on the hard drive are FAT 32. Customer has a windows ME boot disk and wishes to do a parallel install. What will you advice the customer to do.
a) Boot with the Windows Me CD and run winnt32.exe from the XP backup.
b) Ask him to get a new Windows XP CD
c) Boot with the Windows Me CD and run winnt.exe from the XP backup
d) Ask customer to create XP boot disks.
50. A user reports that whenever she attempts to open a file for App1, she is directed to the C:\Program Files folder, not to her home directory. You discover that the user runs App1 by clicking a shortcut on her desktop.
You need to ensure that the user is directed to her home directory when she opens a file for App1. What should you do?
a) Alter the target path for the My Documents folder.
b) Alter the Target setting for the shortcut properties.
c) Alter the Start in setting for the shortcut properties.
d) Alter the PATH system variable to include the home directory.
51. What extra features does the Disk Defragmenter tool have in Win XP that the Win 2000 version lacks?
a) Enhanced analysis functionality.
b) A compression-option.
c) Increased defragmentation speed and an automatic defrag-scheduling option.
52. Which of these Internet Explorer DLL’s is responsible for a secure website to function? (Select more than one)
53. You are a desktop support technician for Certkiller. A customer running Windows XP Home Edition reports that he cannot find several of the buttons that usually appear on the Standard Buttons toolbar in Microsoft Internet Explorer. You need to ensure that the customer can return the standard buttons to the Standard Buttons toolbar. What should you instruct the customer to do?
a) Click the Restore Defaults button on the Advanced tab in Internet Options in Control Panel.
b) Click the Reset Web Settings button on the Programs tab in Internet Options in Control Panel.
c) On the View menu in Internet Explorer, point to Toolbars and clear Lock the Toolbars.
d) On the View menu in Internet Explorer, point to Toolbars, select Customize, and click the Reset button.
54. Which of these email clients support a web based email account?
a) Outlook Express 6.0
b) Windows Mail
c) Microsoft Outlook
d) Windows Live Mail
55. Which of these is the correct example for the syntax of the Expand command?
a) Expand d:\i386\jscript.dll C:\windows\system
b) Expand d:\i386\jscript.dl_ C:\windows\System
c) Expand d:\i386\jscript.dll C:\Windows\System\jscript.dll
d) Expand d:\i386\jscript.dl_ C:\Windows\System\jscript.dll
56. What is the command for converting FAT32 file system to NTFS without data loss?
d) None of the above
57. A user reports that she cannot connect to the Internet. You discover that the user can connect to all internal network resources, but she cannot connect to any external resources. You discover that she can connect to external resources by IP address, but not by name. You are able to connect to internal and external resources by name from your client computer. You need to ensure that the user can connect to internal and external resources by name. What should you do?
a) Configure the user’s computer to have the correct Lmhosts file.
b) Configure the user’s computer to have the correct subnet mask.
c) Configure the user’s computer to have the correct DNS server IP address.
d) Configure the user’s computer to have the correct default gateway address.
58. A user reports that when she tries to purchase an airline ticket online, she receives the following error message: “Cannot load the page, please contact your system administrator”. You discover that she can access other sites without receiving the error message. What is the most likely cause of the error?
a) The network connection is faulty.
b) The TCP/IP stack has been corrupted.
c) Port 80 (HTTP) on the firewall is disabled.
d) Port 443 (HTTPS) on the firewall is disabled.
59. A customer reports that he is trying to establish a connection to web sites that have URLs that start with https://. However, Internet Explorer does not establish a connection, and the user receives the following error message: “The page cannot be displayed.” You need to ensure that the user can establish a secure connection to web sites that have URLs that start with https://. What should you instruct the user to do in Internet Options in Control Panel?
a) Select the Use SSL 2.0 and Use SSL 3.0 check boxes on the Advanced tab.
b) Select the Do not save encrypted pages to disk check box on the Advanced tab.
c) Click the Clear SSL State button.
d) Click the Certificates button and import a user certificate to the personal certificate store.
60. An external modem connects to a PC via:
a) A docking port
b) A serial port
c) A USB Port
d) Either B or C above
61. What does a “?” signify in the Device Manager?
a) Device not installed.
b) Driver needs to be updated.
c) Hardware failure
d) Device is disabled.
62. Customer gives a call and states that he is unable to get online. He uses a cable connection to get online on windows XP Operating system. You run the ping 127.0.0.1 on his computer and get the result as all the packets are lost. What is the next step you would perform?
a) Check the modem connection
b) Check for the network adapter driver
c) Reinstall the Internet explorer.
d) Rebuild the TCP/IP stack
63. How do you get to the Recovery Console with Windows XP?
a) Go to Start> Run then type CMD> Recovery Console
b) Press F 8 during start up> Go to command Prompt> Recovery Console
c) Use msconfig> Startup> recovery console
d) Boot to the Windows XP CD> Press R for repair through Recovery Console
64. HAL.dll error message is caused due to:
a) Corrupt Registry
b) Missing System32
c) Corrupt Boot.ini
d) Corrupt Kernel32
65. There are two users on a network, an Accounting Staffs and a Manager. Both of them use a network printer. The manager complains that the accounting employees always occupy the printer and he want to be able to print first. What priority value will be given to the managers to resolve the issue?
66. How do you get to the Recovery Console with Windows XP?
A. Go to Start> Run then type CMD> Recovery Console
B. Press F8 during start up> Go to command Prompt> Recovery Console
C. Use msconfig> Startup> recovery console
D. Boot to the Windows XP CD> Press R for repair through Recovery console
67. What does ScanDisk do?
A. Scans for unused programs
B. Deletes unused programs
C. Scans and Repairs errors on your computer drives
D. All of the above
68. Resource conflicts are marked with a ___ in Device Manager?
A. Red X
B. Blue arrow
C. Green Question mark
D. Yellow exclamation (?) mark
69. Which Key in Windows XP would you use to boot the computer to access the Windows Advanced Options Menu?
70. If you upgrade to Windows XP Professional from Windows XP Home and the computer does not function properly. How would you remove Windows XP Professional from the computer?
A. Uninstall it from the Add\Remove Programs
B. Use the osuninst command from DOS
C. Format and reinstall Windows XP Home
D. Run Automated System Recovery
71. What command would you use to copy files from the Windows 98 CD to the HDD?
72. HAL.dll error message is caused due to:
A. Corrupt Registry
B. Missing System32
C. Corrupt Boot.ini
D. Corrupt Kernel32
73. You need to prevent some program from starting up at boot. How will you accomplish the task on a Windows XP PC?
A. Uninstall the programs.
B. Msconfig -> Disable Startup
C. Msconfig -> Startup -> Uncheck unwanted programs.
D. Edit autoexec.bat and delete the desired program entries.
74. How will you do a system restore in windows XP from command prompt?
A. Run> CMD> C:\windows\system32\restore\rstrui.exe
B. Run> CMD> C:\windows\system32\restore.exe
C. Run> CMD> C:\windows\system32\ rstrui.exe
D. None of the above
75. There are two users on a network, an Accounting Staffs and a Manager. Both of them use a network printer. The manager complains that the accounting employees always occupy the printer and he want to be able to print first. What priority value will be given to the managers to resolve the issue?
76. What should be the first step in case we get the error “Primary HDD not found”?
A. Replace Hard Drive as it has gone bad
B. Check whether HDD is detected in BIOS
C. Recover operating system through Recovery console since the files for loading Operating system are missing or corrupt.
D. Reconnect the Keyboard
77. Page Fault errors in Win9x usually refer to errors in ___?
B. Hard Drive
78. To install USB devices that are Plug and Play compliant using Win XP?
A. You must turn the computer off first, then plug the device in and it will be detected automatically when you restart the computer
B. You must turn the computer off first, then plug the device in and on restart Win XP detects the device, then use the Add New Hardware wizard to install and configure the device
C. Just plug the device in and it will be detected automatically even without restarting the computer.
D. After plugging in Device use Add New Hardware wizard to install the Driver. Shut down the PC and the device will work fine.
79. After starting your computer you add a USB camera to your new Windows 2000 Professional computer but the device does not function. You go to Device Manager and the device is not listed. What should be your first step to install the USB camera?
A. Check whether USB support is enabled in the BIOS
B. Use Add Remove Hardware wizard
C. Add the camera first then start the computer
D. Enable Plug and Play support in Device Manager
80. The motherboard on your Windows XP system is bad and you have it replaced. After installing the new motherboard, your system continuously reboots after POST when loading Windows. How do you correct this?
A. Choose the Last Known Good Configuration option in Advance option menu
B. Choose Debugging mode and run system restore
C. Repair the installation by booting from the CDROM and pressing R for repair
D. Do a system restore from advance option menu through Command prompt
81. While connecting a USB Pen drive on the computer you receive and Error Message: “HIGH-SPEED USB Device Attached To non-HIGH-SPEED Hub”. What is the reason for the error?
A. USB 2.0 Compatible Pen Drive is connected to USB 1.1 hub
B. A Lower version USB pen drive is connected to higher version USB hub
C. A Higher version USB pen drive is connected to lower version USB hub
D. Both A and C
82. What feature of Outlook Express allows multiple users to send and receive mails, each using a separate account?
B. Group Sharing
C. Fast User Switching
D. Virtual Account
83. You are trying to visit the following URL: https://partner.microsoft.com/ . However, Internet Explorer does not establish a connection, and you receive the following error message: “The page cannot be displayed”. What should you do in Internet Options in Control Panel to access these sites?
A. Select the Use SSL 2.0 and Use SSL 3.0 check boxes on the Advanced tab.
B. Select the Do not save encrypted pages to disk check box on the Advanced tab.
C. Click the Clear SSL State button.
D. Click the Certificates button and import a user certificate to the personal certificate store.
84. Refer to the output below:
Reply from 172.16.99.2: bytes=1450 time<10ms TTL=62
Reply from 172.16.99.2: bytes=1450 time<10ms TTL=62
What utility or command has been used to produce this output?
85. By default, how often does Disk Defragmenter run automatically in Windows Vista?
A. Every two weeks
86. What I full form of TCP/IP ?
a). Transmission control Protocol / internet Productivity
b). Transmission control protocol / Internet Protocol
c). Transmission continuity Protocol / internet Productivity
d). Transmission continuity Protocol / internet Protocol
87. Which of the following is not a email client ?
a). Internet explorer
b). Thunder bird
c). Out looks
d). Out look Express
88. Through which of the following ways one can connect to the internet ?
d). All of the above
89. What of the following is not a browser ?
b). Internet Explorer
c). Microsoft Outlook
90. How do you get into control panel ?
a). Start>Run>control panel
b). Through accessories
c). Through network connection
d). Start>Run>Win version
91. Frequently, users in your office leave floppy disks in drives. This causes problems when users attempt to boot with floppies still in drive and results in a support request. You want to change the computer from seeking the A: drive as the first drive to boot from. Which of the following is the best way to do this?
a). Disconnect cable on floppy drive
b). Change the RAM to SDRAM
c). Change the boot order in CMOS
d). Pull the battery
92. Which are the two devises you need to connect to the internet?
a). Modem and Key Board
b). Modem and network card
c). USB drive and Firewire
d). lineout and phone
93. What is full form of RAM ?
a). Read Access Memory
b). read all Memory
c). Random Access Memory
d). Read allow Memory
94. Tick the options that you feel are operating system ?
a). MS Office
b). Window XP
d). Windows Vista
95. How can we check version of Internet Explorer ?
c). Help>about internet Explorer
d). Help> IE version
96. Where are the changes made to the bios stored?
b). CMOS battery
97. What does NTFS stand for ?
a). New Technology Flat table
b). Network Technology Flat table
c). New Technology File System
d). All of above
98. What is the full form of the word Modem ?
a). Modern Data Emulation
b). Modem Data Emission Module
c). Modulator / Demodulator
d). Modular Data Emulator
99. To uninstall a programme we would have to access ______________ from the control panel ?
a). Add/remove Programs
b). Remove Soft ware
c). Uninstall software
d). all of the above
100. What does USB Stand for ?
a). Ultra Small Bus
b). Universal Small Bus
c). Universal Serial Bus
d). Universal Sata Bus
e). Ultra Slim Bus
101. What is the default browser that comes with windows XP to browse the internet ?
d). None of the above
102. SATA is a technology used to connect ___________ .
a). Hard Disk Drives
b). USB Drives
c). network adapters
103. Tick the options that are Anti Virus softwares?
b). Bit Defender
104. What does ISP Stand for ?
a). Internally Safe port
b). Internet Service Provider
c). International Service Provider
d). Integral Slip Portal
105. Where do deleted files go in windows ?
a). Control Panel
b). Disk Bin’
c). Recycle Bin
d). My computer
106. What do you understand by http ?
1. Hyper text transfer protocol
2. Hyper text transfer policy
3. Hyper text transfer program
4. Hyper text transfer packets
107. What do you understand by the term ISP ?
1. Internet standard service
2. Internet socket service
3. Internet service provider
4. None of the above
108. What do you understand by HTML ?
1. Hyper text markup language
2. hyper terminal markup language
3. hyper transfer markup language
4. None of the above
109. What do you understand by FTP ?
1. File transfer protocol
2. file transit protocol
3. File traversed protocol
4. File trunk protocol
110. What is the use of firewall ?
1. Block all the traffic
2. Monitor and so nothing
3. Monitor the incoming and outgoing traffic
4. None of the above
111. What do you understand by Home page ?
1. It’s the first page or main page of a website
2. Home page means any page of a website
3. Home page means test page of a printer
4. None of the above
112. Which language is referred as “the language of the internet” ?
113. What type of files can be viewed in acrobat Reader ?
114. Net Meeting is a ____________________ program from Microsoft.
1. A spread sheet program
2. A word processor program
3. Chatting and conferencing
4. A photo editing program
115. Out look express is a email server ?
116. In which folder you can save the partially composed mails ?
2. Sent items
3. out box
4. None of the above
117. Which universal password is used to access a computer’s BIOS settings ?
4. There is no universal way of accessing BIOS
118. Which service is responsible for managing Internet host names and domain names as well resolving the names of IP addresses ?
119. What is the minimum requirement for RAM in windows ?
1. 64 MB
2. 128 MB
3. 192 MB
4. 256 MB
120. When you try to boot the computer, you get the error message: Non- system disk or disk error. What is the most likely cause of this error message ?
1. You left a non-bootable disk in the floppy drive.
2. The CMOS battery has gone dead.
3. your hard drive has crashed.
4. There is no RAM in the system
121. Donna boots up his computer and, after a brief pause, it produces two short beeps. However the boots up fine. What is wrong with his system ?
1. The hard drive has failed
2. The monitor is unplugged
3. The key board is unplugged
4. Nothing is wrong . In some computers two short beeps indicate a successful POST.
122. Sean states that’s his system was working fine yesterday: however today he is not able to boot. You suspect that the system is failing to boot because of a corrupt master boot record. Which utility is the best to fix this ?
1. Disk cleanup
2. Device Manager
3. System Restore
4. Recovery Console
123. What is the minimum CPU speed required for Windows XP Home edition ?
1. 233 MHZ
2. 2 GHZ
3. 4 GHZ
4. 8 GHZ
124. What is the recommended CPU speed for Windows XP professional ?
1. 300 MHZ
2. 900 GHz
3. 2 GHZ
4. 4 GHZ
125. What is the minimum requirement for RAM in Windows XP
b. 128 MB
c. 192 MB
d. 256 MB
126. What are the rules for typing a command correctly called?
d. Instruction set
127. You suspect your system is failing to boot because of a corrupt master boot record. Which utility is the best to fix this?
a. Automated System Restore
b. Device Manager
c. System Restore
d. Recovery Console
128. What is the most popular API used by 3-D game developers?
129. What is the shortcut command to access device manager?
130. Which term refers to the router that your PC uses to connect to your Internet service provider?
a. Loopback address
c. IP address
d. Default gateway
131. How can you check IE version?
a. Click Help>About Internet explorer
b. Click File>Work Offline
c. Click About Internet Explorer>Help
132. How browser cache helps an internet surfer?
a. It does nothing
b. It loads the frequently visited websites faster
c. It ask to give your personal details
133. Which language is referred as “the language of the internet”?
134. What is the run command to locate an IP Address in Windows 98 & ME?
c. Ipconfig /all
d. Ipconfig /n
135. What you need to create for another user email account in Outlook Express?
a. New Profile
b. New Message
c. New Identity
d. All of the above
136. Outlook Express is a email server?
137. In MS Outlook in which folder you can save the partially composed mails?
b. Sent Items
c. Out Box
d. None of the above partially composed mails are never saved.
138. Default port number for POP3 is _______?
139. What is the full form of ASR?
a. Automated Setup Remote
b. Automated Speech Recognition
c. Automated System Resolution
d. Automated System Recovery
140. ______________ Version of IE is bundled with Windows 7?
a. IE 6
b. IE 7
c. IE 8
d. IE 5.5
141. What is the other shortcut key to open Task Manager beside Ctrl + Alt + Del?
a. CTRL + ALT + Windows key
b. CTRL + SHIFT + Windows key
c. CTRL + SHIFT + ESC
d. CTRL + ALT + SHIFT
142. UAC allows using the same user account into two different roles such as Standard user and Administrators.
143.Which file is responsible to load NTOSKERNEL.exe and HAL.dll while booting the system with Windows XP?
144. __________ is the command line tool used to transfer the data from old computer to new computer?
a. Active Directory Migration Tool
b. User State Migration Tool
c. DMIS Tool
145. Display Properties in Windows XP has been changed to _________ in Windows Vista.
b. Display Settings
c. Graphics Settings
d. Resolution Settings
146. An encrypted folder name is displayed in ______ color text showing it’s an encrypted folder.
147. Windows Vista creates only one contact directory for all users.
148. What version of Media Player is used in Vista?
a. Version 12
b. Version 11
c. Version 10
d. Version 10.5
149. Standard User can install Windows Updates in Vista?
150.What is the shortcut command to access device manager?
151.What is the full form of MS- DOS?
a. Microsoft Disk Open System
b. Microsoft Disk Operating System
c. Microsoft Direct Operating System
d. Microsoft Dbase Operating System
152. What is the full form of SSL?
a. Security Subsystem Layer
b. Secure Socket Layer
c. Secure Socket Location
d. Server Socket Layer
153. What does POP3 stand for?
a. Pretty Original Post office 3
b. Post Office Protocol-3
c. Nothing; it’s just a protocol type
d. Any of the above.
154. How do you print an e-mail?
a. Ctrl + P
b. File -> Print
c. Print icon on the Standard toolbar
d. Any of the above.
155. Which command will write a new boot sector in Windows XP by using recovery console?
d. FixMBR /Rb
156. What is the size of standard (IPv4) IP address?
a. 4 bytes (32 bits)
b. 12 bytes (96 bits)
c. 32 bytes (256 bits)
d. 16 bytes (128 bits)
157. What version of IE has Suggested Sites feature?
a. IE 6
b. IE 7
c. IE 8
d. IE 9
158. What happens if you click the ‘Reset” button under advance tab in IE?
a. It deletes all temporary files
b. It disables browser add-ons
c. It resets all the changed settings
d .All of the above
159. What switch you will check under boot.ini tab in msconfig box to boot your computer without GUI mode ?
160. Which of the following will result in a POST beep code message
a. The system is overheating
b. The video card is not seated properly
C. The keyboard is unplugged.
D. The hard drive has crashed.
161. What command should you run to check and fix corrupt system files, DLLs, and other critical files?
a. CMDCONS /FIXBOOT
b. SFC /SCANNOW
c. CHKDSK /R
d. DEFRAG -A
162. What is the most common compressed sound format
163. Which of the following Internet connection methods enables you to watch television on your computer if you have a TV tuner card?
164. What is the full form of IMAP?
a. Internet Message Access Protocol
b. Internet Message Application Protocol
c. Internet Mail Access Protocol
d. Internet Mail Application Protocol
165. Which of the following operating can be upgraded directly to windows 200 professional.
a) Windows 3.1
b) Windows 95
c) Windows 98
d) Windows NT workstation 4.0
166. What file extention is associated with Microsoft installer files
167. Which service is responsible for managing internet host names and domain names as well as resolving the names IP address.
168. Which of the devices can be used to boot a computer.
a) Floppy disk
c) USB thumb drive
d) all of the above
169. Joey wants to change the name of a file from Start.Bat to HAMMER.BAT. Which of the following commands would accomplish this feat.
Ans: REN START. BAT HAMMAER. BAT
170. How do you open Windows mail ? ( Select all that apply)
a) From the windows mail icon in the all Programs or Programs srction of the Start Menu
b) From my documents folder
c) From your desktop icon
d) By holding the O key when your computer
171. What is required to use windows mail ?
a) The Windows mail CD
b) An internet connection
c) A microphone
d) All of the above
172. How will you enable full screen mode in the internet explorer ?
c) ctl+ 11
173. What is the use of firewall ?
a) Block all the traffic
b) Monitor the incoming and outgoing traffic
c) Monitor and do nothing
174. What is the purpose of an add-on in internet application ?
a) It acts like a plug-in to view movies and animation etc.
b) It overloads the browser
c) It stops firewall to monitor traffic
d) None of the above
175. Why flash player is required on a web page?
a) To view animation
b) To view hyperlink
c) To view Home page & last page
d) None of the above
176. What is the shortcut key to send a mail in outlook ?
c) Crtl + S
177. Which of the following capabilities are been enchanced in IE8 ?
a) HTML Parse
b) CSS Engine
c) Jscript Runtime
d) All of the above
178. What is full form of WHQL ?
a) Windows Hardware Quality list
b) Windows Hardware Quotes list
c) Windows Hardware Quality logo
d) Windows Hardware Quality Labs
179. In Windows XP, when the user log on the system it checks the user’s credentials in the ______ file if credentials are correct then it loads the user profile.
b) NTOS Kernel
d) Current Control set
180. What default version of IE is installed in Windows Vista?
a) IE 5.5
b) IE 6.0
c) IE 7.5
d) IE 7.0
181. Under which edition of widows 7, you can use secure network with domain?
b) Home Basic
c) Home premium
d) All of the above
182. What is the full of WZC ?
a) Wireless Zero Configuration
b) Wi-Fi Zero Configuration
c) Wireless Zero Connection
d) Wireless Zombie
183. Media center does not allow you to record TV programmes?