SERVICE SUPPORT DISCIPLINES:
- Service Desk – is the single point of contact for end-users who need help with the service(s) they are receiving from an IT service provider.
- Incident Management – deals with restoring a service by providing a solution, “quick-fix” or a workaround as soon as possible.
- Problem Management – is responsible to identify the underlying cause of incidents and provide long term solutions to them.
- Change Management – is responsible to ensure that changes are handled promptly and efficiently using standardized procedures in order to minimize the impact of any related incident(s) on the IT service.
- Release Management – deals with implementing new (software or hardware) releases into the operational (live) environment, using the controlling processes of Configuration Management and Change Management.
- Configuration Management – manages the (ICT) assets of an organization and the relationship between these assets.
All these disciplines are known as “Processes” whereas, only Service Desk is known as a “Function“.