Note: Close all open applications and files before you run this procedure.
- Click on the Start button and select My Computer.
- Right-click on the hard-disk you wish to check for errors and select Properties.
- On the Tools tab, under Error Checking, click on Check Now.
You will now get another dialogue box with more options as shown in the picture below:
Use one of the following procedures:
- To scan your hard-disk in read-only mode, click on Start.
- To repair the errors without scanning the hard-disk drive for bad-sectors, select the option automatically fix file system errors and then click on Start.
- To repair the errors in your hard-disk drive (if any), identify bad sectors, and recover readable information, select the option Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors, and then click on Start.