When you buy a new printer, it will come with an Installation Disk which will contain, apart from installation instructions and the User Manual, the Printer Driver software for your printer. It is not a very complicated process – all you have to do is to follow the instructions on your computer.
But here is a list of things you would generally do:
1. Unpack the printer and make sure the USB connector cable is connected to the printer as well as the computer. It is designed in such a way that you cannot connect it wrongly. The printer documentation will also provide you with visual help which will make it easier for you to install the printer. After connecting the USB cables, connect the printer to a power outlet. So, now you have printer connected to the computer via a USB cable and also to a power outlet through a power cable.
2. Once you have made sure that all the cables are connected properly, the next step is to install the Printer Cartridges. Again look for help in the printer documentation.
3. After this, insert the disc that came with the printer into your CD-ROM / DVD-ROM drive – it will start the installation program automatically and guide you through the rest of the process.
There is also another way you can install your printer. Take a look:
1. Click on the Start Button and go to Printers and Faxes and click on Add Printer. This will start up the Add Printer wizard.
2. Click Next and select “Local Printer attached to this computer” and make sure that the option “Automatically detect and install my Plug and Play printer” is checked and Click Next.
3. Windows will search for your printer and automatically install it for you. Again, if you are asked for the driver, you must insert the CD that came with the printer into the CD-ROM or DVD ROM drive and windows will install the printer automatically.
(If you have a Plug and Play Printer – that is, one which connects to your computer through the USB port, you just have to connect it to the computer and turn on the printer. Windows will automatically detect the printer and install the driver for you. In case you are asked for the driver disk, you will have to insert it into the CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive and Windows will install the printer automatically.)